02 03 Mama Dews Reviews: Book Review: The Life We Never Expected... #Autism #SpecialNeeds 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Book Review: The Life We Never Expected... #Autism #SpecialNeeds

34

As the parent of a son that has Autism, I never imagined how difficult things might be, but at the same time, how rewarding they would be. Since my sons diagnosis, I have done all that I can to learn about this difference of ability, so anytime I am shown a book about this adventure, I like to read it.

I am so thankful to FlyBy Promotions, for introducing me to this book, and while it does have a religious tone, it is well worth the read, even if you aren't religious....read all about it below, and don't forget to enter to win your own copy.










Synopsis:

Sometimes life throws you a curve ball.
Andrew and Rachel Wilson know what it means to live a life they never expected. As the parents of two children with special needs, their story mingles deep pain with deep joy in unexpected places. With raw honesty, they share about the challenges they face on a daily basis—all the while teaching what it means to weep, worship, wait, and hope in the Lord. Offering encouragement rooted in God's Word, this book will help you cling to Jesus and fight for joy when faced with a life you never expected.

My Thoughts:
I am so appreciative of the Wilson's, for sharing their journey with Autism. Having one child with a difference of ability, is challenging all by itself, but when you have more than one child, and they are diagnosed with regressive Autism, things become even harder. I was able to relate to so much of what this family shared...the obsessions with certain items, and the utter dismay and ruin, that comes if that obsession is somehow disrupted.

For my son, it was a line of trains, that I often times found lined up on the edge of my China Hutch...2 yellow, 2 green, 1 red, 1 blue. You would think that having multiples of one color, would mean that it would go unnoticed if they were changed around...not for my son, if the yellows or greens were switched around, he just KNEW, and we would go into meltdown mode. I say we, because as an Autism parent, these things don't happen to just your child.

I appreciate that the Wilson's took the time, to break their journey down into "cycles" which are approached very much like the stages of grief...it is how you handle those stages that will set the tone for the rest of the day...see, with Autism, as with most special needs, things are tackled on a day to day basis. There is no planning ahead for the next week, or month.
I want to tell you so much more about this book, but I think that the greatest impression will be made, by opening this book on your own, and delving into the raw reality of this family's life. I am so so grateful that while they recognize that they are far from professionals, and know nothing more about Autism, than how if affects their own family, that they were still willing to open up to complete strangers about what being an Autism family is.
I sincerely hope that each of you takes the time to learn more about Autism, and how it affects families. If you are interested in this book, and learning more about the Wilson's journey, please comment below for a chance to win a copy. Tell me about your own experience with Autism, or other special needs...giveaway ends 7/15/16

*Sponsored by FlyBy Promotions*

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only re3commend products and services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising"

"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway.  If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win.  Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”





Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38